The FIA are reviewing the current training options open to members and would be interested in your thoughts regarding an apprenticeship tailored around fibre optics (and telecommunications).
The proposition is built up around the Network Cable Installer apprenticeship training currently being developed.
The apprenticeship would run for 12-15 months and would be classified as a Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship with a cohort of 6-8.
This could lead onto a Level 4 Fibre Optic testing apprenticeship.
The first four weeks of the course are classroom based and thereafter based in the workplace with assessor visits every 5 weeks.
The proposed elements are:
• Introduction to Communications technologies
• Health and safety
• Communications equipment installation techniques
• Fault diagnosis and maintenance of communications equipment
The course would also include:
• City & Guilds 3667 5-day combined Unit 2&3 Internal and external fibre
• City & Guilds 3667 Unit 4 Internal Copper
• CITB Health, Safety and Environment test (CSCS) 1-day
• NRSWA Streetworks course 5-days
Thereafter work experience, shadowing, mentoring, knowledge assignments, progress reviews, competence portfolio creation, ICT examination and portfolio sign off would lead to the completion of a Level 3 Apprenticeship.
What would you like to see covered in the apprenticeship?
Is this of interest to your company?