Covid-19 Protecting Your Construction Workforce
There has never been a more important period to consider Health and Safety. The FIA has consulted with Chris Rawson,of CHPK, and he has kindly provided the following information for our members:
- Covid-19 Site Based General Risk Assessment
- Construction Leadership Council – Site Operating Procedures V3 – Protecting Your Workforce During Coronavirus (Covid-19)
- HM Government – Working Safely During COVID-19 in Construction and other Outdoor Work
And finally he has provided a number of bullet points namely:
1. Do not simply identify ‘Covid-19’ as the only hazard. Break it down into bite size hazards (see the Risk Assessment) that you can focus on in detail. Such as ‘travel to work’, ‘site welfare’, ‘concerned employees’ etc.
2. Review each work task individually. This will help identify the activities within the task that require working within 2m of each other. This will help concentrate your efforts.
3. Assess resource levels. Ask yourself, ‘can the job be done safely with less people over a longer period of time?’ This will reduce the amount of contact with other people.
4. Develop a cleaning rota. This is especially important if sharing vehicles or plant. Everything should be wiped down with 60% alcohol after use. Covid-19 can live for 72hrs on hard surfaces (plastic/metal).
5. Provide PPE and train in how to use safely. PPE is always the last resort, but its correct use can help prevent the spread.
Please note that the situation with Covid-19 is changing continuously and the above information is subject to change.
Chris Rawson MSc CMIOSH CMaPs is an Associate Director at CHPK Limited www.chpk.co.uk/index.asp
New FIA Members FIA Summer Seminar 2020 Update COVID-19 FAQs for IT and Data Infrastructure Companies COVID-19 Protecting Your Construction Workforce COVID-19 Good News Stories GLIDE GROUP Lynx Networks GLIDE GROUP on Nightingale Hospital, Bristol CNET...read more
New FIA Members New FIA Approved Training Providers FIA Members News FIA Annual General Meeting FIA Accredited Installer Scheme FIA Summer Seminar 2020 Mike Gilmore, FIA Standards Director Retires Dr Nick Channon - Past Director of FIA IET NHS Document BSI...read more
New FIA Council Member 2020 FIA Summer Seminar Report on the FIA AGM New FIA Certified Trainers FIA Videos in the Making New Members The FIA is delighted to welcome new members, AM Electrics (Renewables) Ltd, and Diban Ltd, both new Corporate members who have joined...read more